Richard Clements

Thomas Bunetta wrote:

The latest honey-do is two sets of Barrister bookcases (three cases next
two cases side by side two sets of each) to be made Birchherry.
I have begun making wide boards from skinny ones (g) and have 3 sets of
plans (magazine how-to's).
Problem is they all are designed to be against the wall and SWMBO wants
these to act as a sort of room divider, both sides visible.
The plans all call for 1/4" plywood backs (and I have no 1/4" cherry ply,
nor any easily accessible) but I have a pretty good supply of rough sawn
cherry.
Question is whether I should go thru the trouble of making a laminated
back (re-saw, join for two sides of 1/4 birch ply, etc.) or simply use
solid wood (MUCH faster!)... if so eye appeal suggests the grain run
vertically to match the sides, but that means edge mating a fair number of
narrow boards to arrive at the 34-35" width of the bookcases.
It also suggests a far greater range of seasonal movement as compared to
running the grain perpendicular to the shelves.
What'cha think... Laminate, vertical or horizontal grain? BTW I'm
envisioning a frame and panel type placement, with the back panel slid
into dadoes.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

why put a back on it at all?
put a small 1/4 or so lip on both sides of the bottom shelf and put boos in
from both sides, or build 2 books cases back to back, also from what I
understand if you put a cherry stain on Birch it comes very close to
looking like cherry or birch plywood may be a thought