mac davis

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 04:10:19 GMT, Dan wrote:

On Sun 28 Nov 2004 10:04:19p, (Don97623) wrote in
:

However, just about 50% of the time I turn it on, the circuit breaker
trips. When it trips, I can just reset the breaker, then turn on the
saw and it will always start the second time. If I shut it off, the
next time I try to turn it on (warm or cold), it will almost always
trip the breaker.

I originally had it plugged into a 15A circuit, and figured the
starting current was just a little high.
I had been meaning to add a power circuit to the basement, so I added
a 20A circuit, and still have the same problem.

Does this mean the motor is bad, or are there soft-start options for
these machines, or what?

My Grizzly pops the breaker something like one time in ten at powerup. I
don't think my motor or yours is bad.

I'm leaning towards getting a slow-blow breaker. If I remember those
electric motor classes right, it's not unusual for an induction motor to
pull a lot of amps at the start, then drop. You need quite a bit of power
to get all that weight moving.

what we used to do in the "old daze" was make up a box to plug the saw
into that had a light bulb socket in the circuit with a "slow blow"
fuse the same amperage as the breaker or main fuse.. seemed to help in
most cases..