makesawdust makesawdust is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Diehl
tillius wrote:
is 3/4 mdf strong enough to build a cabinet carcass for my shop tools
such as a rolling cabinet for my bench top drill press; mortiser; etc?

Would it be better to use 3/4" hardwood plywood or a dimensional
lumber frame with mdf skin?

tillman

For a rolling tool bench, you'll want something more sturdy and stable
than just an MDF carcass... A frame made of 2x4 lumber and some metal
angle brackets would only slightly increase the cost to build the bench,
and would lend a lot of stability to it.
-AD
I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment on this one. The key to making a cabinent that is strong and won't fall to pieces under movement and vibration isn't heavier materials and steel brackets. It's thoughtful design, good joints, and appropriate adhesive and fasteners.

My drill press is an old Shopsmith (1947 model) that sits on an MDF base that is shaped like a pyramid with a flat top. The unit is so heavy it takes two people to lift it. It doesn't have wheels, so when I need to move it, I drag it across my shop. This base has been in use for five years and is still rock solid. With proper design and execution MDF will work fine for a mobile work bench.

I recommend that you build a typical box cabinet with 3/4 inch MDF. Cut dado's along the sides and back to hold the bottom panel. On the botton of the cabinet, use triangular corner bracing - these braces will also be the attachement points for the caster wheels - use the largest ones you can find that lock. Also use triagular bracing at the top of the cabinet, as this will provide added stability and serve as the attachment points for the top of the cabinet. Use 3/4 inch MDF for the top work surface, and run it over the edges by a couple inches, but round the corners; if one layer doesn't feel solid enough, add another layer.

If you don't want to use a solid wood face frame for the cabinet, at least add a 3" to 4" strip of MDF along the front top of the cabinet running between the insides of the side panels; you can do the same beneath the bottom of the cabinet. Adding internal structures for shelves and drawers will even add to the strength of the cabinet.

You could probably even use 3/4 inch particle board for this project and be find. Alternatively, if you want a bigger rolling cabinet, consider making several smaller cabinets and bolting them together, then adding the wheels. I built a large mobile base for a home brewery out of 3/4 inch particle board with three cabinets bolted together. It was bomb proof when I was finished (but very heavy!)

I almost forgot...use plenty of glue and screws when assembling it.

Good luck!