Matthias Mühe

It also suggests a far greater range of seasonal movement as compared to
running the grain perpendicular to the shelves.
What'cha think... Laminate, vertical or horizontal grain? BTW I'm
envisioning a frame and panel type placement, with the back panel slid

into
dadoes.
Thanks in advance,
Tom

Hi Tom,

I recently fixed an old book case with a back made from roughly 1/4" pine.
The back is about 36" wide and 40" tall. It had shrunk over the years in
width by 1/2 to 3/4 ".

After cutting out the broken piece, I inserted a new piece of pine which
went much easier then expected (just had to slightly clamp it on a flat
surface before applying pressure over the width).

So gluing-up the wide back in solid wood should not cause a problem.

Anyhow, watching the amount of shrinkage over that width would make me split
the back into half and have a support in the middle of the bookcase rebated
on both sides to allow for movement of the back.

Have fun

Matthias