Allan Adler

"Kelly Jones" described very clearly and in great
detail how I could make a thorough check of the condition of the rack and
pinion on the telescope. I just have a few questions:

Then, do a contact pattern check. This is simply applying some sort
of compound to the entire rack and repeatedly running the rack end to end
several times and reviewing the "pattern" left behind. Obviously, don't use
too much or anything that will get into the optics. Any good grease will
do. (On a side note the professional gear guys use colored componds similar
to jewelere's rougue.)

Is there some kind of common coloring one can mix with with "any good grease"
to simulate the stuff the professional gear guys use? For example, how
about adding a tiny bit of alizarin crimson or emerald green oil paint
to the grease?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler