Adam Diehl

tillius wrote:
is 3/4 mdf strong enough to build a cabinet carcass for my shop tools
such as a rolling cabinet for my bench top drill press; mortiser; etc?

Would it be better to use 3/4" hardwood plywood or a dimensional
lumber frame with mdf skin?

tillman

For a rolling tool bench, you'll want something more sturdy and stable
than just an MDF carcass. Whatever your tools are sitting on not only
has to support the weight of the tool, but also has to absorb the weight
of the stock you're working with, stresses created by using the tool,
and in the case of a rolling cabinet, any shock from rolling over uneven
surfaces (e.g., cracks in the floor, concrete joints, etc.) Also, the
slightest hint of instability will magnify any minute vibrations or
imbalances in your machinery. A frame made of 2x4 lumber and some metal
angle brackets would only slightly increase the cost to build the bench,
and would lend a lot of stability to it. You'll be glad you spent the
extra time and money when you're about to cut a mortise into a nice,
expensive piece of stock. Also, for a rolling cabinet, remember to get
casters with brakes on them! (probably obvious, but you never know!)

-AD