Don97623

This has a 15' long, 12-gauge cord on it, so I don't really think that's it.

I pulled the back of the motor off tonight, and located the centrifugal switch
arrangement for the capacitor. My take on how this works is:
When the motor is off, the centrifugal "clutch" presses against the switch,
closing the 2 contacts, which feed the capacitor.
When the saw spins up, the clutch pulls back, opening the contacts and taking
the capacitor out of the circuit.

I cleaned the contacts and pulled the contacts up slightly to make better
contact, but when I reassembled and tried to start it (no belt attached), it
immediately popped the breaker. Next try it spun up ok, and I did get several
starts, but it still pops the breaker often (though maybe not quite as often as
it did before.) Maybe another, better cleaning is in order. I'm not sure how
to check out the capacitor, but that could be a problem. I'll also see if I
can verify continuity through the switch when everything's assembled (has to be
assembled for switch contact to be made.)

I definitely hear the "clutch" plate snap back into normal mode and rub against
the switch contacts once the motor slows down, so the mechanical part seems to
be working ok.

Any other thoughts?
If another round of playing doesn't work, I'll find a local motor rebuilder &
see if they can fix it reasonably cheaply.

Thanx,
Don

If you are using an extension cord, try using a shorter one, one with
thicker guage wire, or if possible, plugging the tool directly into the
wall socket. Worked wonders for me just last week.

-John