Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Romwar" wrote in message

Update:

A friend of mine who's experienced with oil furnaces advised me to buy
a new furnace unless the unit is less than 10yrs old, in which case I
should replace the combustion chamber. He doesn't work in Connecticut,
so other than advice over the phone he can't help me any further. I've
decided to replace the unit, which is a Heil NUOD084EF01. I'm not sure
exactly how old it is, but it looks more than ten years old to me. So I
called a distributor and he told me the replacement model for this unit
is NOMF105 and he sells them for about $1300. I'm having trouble
getting prices from any of the others I've called though. They just
give me the "we can't tell you the price unless you are a contractor"
bull****. Nice little monopoly if you ask me.

Bull****? Nope..the law , is the law.
Most states require for a reason that fuel burning appliances such as a
furnace be installed by a licenced and insured contractor.
After you buy the furnace, are you going to spend the $1900 on the
combustion tester for the unit?
How about the $250 for the cheap fuel pressure tester?
You know about combustion air, nozzle sizing, spray patterns, and such
right? You know that the nozzle IN the unit, might not be the nozzle YOU
need for your application...might be why you have a damaged unit now.

So, I was wondering what I should expect to purchase one and have it
installed? It's an easy access location and as far as I know the
ductwork will match up to this newer model so the install should not be
very complicated. I'd appreciate any advice on what this may cost. I
am in the central Connecticut area and its getting cold here and
everyone's busy. This could not have happened at a worse time.

It depends. I have done some smaller units for under $1000 for people that
cant afford more.
I have put in a few larger units for over $5,000..depends. What you see as
easy might be a ductwork modification nightmare.And for the record, it is a
rare day indeed when the old duct matches the new unit.

Thanks to everyone who contributed advice so far, a lot of good
information here.

--
Romwar