Dugie

Hey, it's great that you, "...replaced rusting lids and tops under MA..." , Mad Mac. You sound like a really decent
guy and repairman. And a bit of a rebel.

Your advice is my goal: broker a deal, but for complete repair. If I don't get it, I'm unsure what I'll do. I may
repair it myself, no big deal, just time consuming and annoying. I'd actually began the sanding for the repair, then
stopped and decided to pursue this with Sears.

Why do we consumers accept such below-par manufacturing practices, especially with so many new and long-lasting
materials available but unused? And what can we do about it? Where's Ralph Nader NOW? :-)

- Dugie

"Mad Mac" wrote in message ...
Sadly, what you describe is not an unusual occurence. Frankly, I'm
surprised that Sears even agreed to send a tech out at their expense to
look at this (and I say that as an ex-Sears tech).

There is, as far as I recall, no specific anti-rust warranty on the
cabinet - indeed, Sears' own service products (Maintenance Agreements,
or whatever they're called now) specifically exclude "cosmetic" repairs
after the unit was over 3 years old. That being said, I've replaced
rusting lids and tops under MA on the grounds that rust in those places
impedes the functionality of the appliance, and was never challenged on
it. Best advice I can give you is to try to broker some kind of deal to
get the lid and top replaced with you paying the labour charge.

Good Luck!