Simon Avery

Default Using hot air in conservatory

(David) wrote:

Hello David

D| Has anyone tried pumping the hot air form the top of a
D| conservatory into the floor ? I am planning to put in a
D| thick concrete floor above insulation (polystyrene ?) and am
D| thinking about laying 4 or 6 inch drainage hose in the
D| concrete. Then with a couple of fans, piping the hot air
D| from the roof apex down under the floor. The idea is to use
D| the concrete pad as thermal storage, keeping
D| the conservatory warmer on marginal evenings.

Interesting idea. But, ime, the concrete pad (& paving stone laid on
top) in my conservatory was ample thermal store by itself - was still
too hot to walk barefoot several hours after the sun went down.

For others it may be difference, I guess it's very dependant on
position of C, geographical position, type of C (glass, poly, double
or triple poly etc), size, ventilation and so on.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: