Doug Miller

In article , (todd the wood junkie) wrote:
I cut up some silver maple about 2 yrs ago. Air dried it and made a
cutting board center, surrounded by an osage orange frame. Burned the
rest in the fireplace, great firewood also.

"Great firewood" compared to what? Poplar? IME, silver maple burns rapidly to
ashes, whereas sugar maple burns slowly to coals as oak, ash, and hickory do.

Excellent wood for a
cutting board center, and easy on knives. Worked well, and is a nice
tight grained wood. It is called soft maple, but it's up there with
cherry, mahogany, and walnut in it's hardness.

Cherry and mahogany, yes. Walnut, no. Silver maple is only about 2/3 as hard
as walnut.

--
Regards,