zxcvbob

Ringo Langly wrote:

As for the oil I mentioned, yes I should've said something about this
after buying the house. I purcahsed this house two years ago when it
was winter -- so i didn't notice the oil until I started doing
yardwork about 4 months later. I found out by the neighbor that the
guy would drain his boat and 4-wheeler oil directly on the ground and
just pitch the oil filters in the corner of the yard. Luckily it's
between the shed and fence, so I won't be using this area for anything
other then storage, but I'm planning on digging-up the soil about 6-12
inches deep, digging-up deeper soil not contaminated, and burying the
oily soil with good soil on top. I still won't probably ever be able
to grow anything here, but at least it'll have a cleaner area for
storage. The oil cans I took to a local place the recycles them.

If you dig up the contaminated soil, you need to burn it rather than
bury it. You're actually better off having it hauled away and let
someone else burn it.

You really ought to go after the previous owner for not disclosing an
illegal toxic waste dump when you bought the property. It's gonna be
expensive to clean up if he actually dumped oil there rather than just a
few old filters.

Bob