MLD

Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw that is at the bottom of the bowl
under the carburetor? I had similar symptoms as you--rough running, needed
choke to keep it going, poor low speed running (stalling). Turn the screw
all the way in--don't tighten it too hard against the seat. Back it out
about 1 1/2 turns. Make small adjustments from that setting until there is
a good balance between the high speed and low speeds.
MLD
"Doug" wrote in message
. com...
Took the bowl off, cleaned out some residue. Looked like tiny yellow

globs.
Replaced the plug from Champion RJ19LM to a Champion 5861 which is their

EZ
start plug. I thought that since the engine was missing, it might be the
plug. Started up, and seemed to run a little better. The real test will be
out in the snow for extended useage. I think that as long as it doesn't

give
me too much trouble, I'll get through the winter with it running it at a
slightly slower RPM. From what I've read, that may be a sign of a mixture
problem. Still, the blower is operational with it. It's a matter of, will

it
stay working, or stall out on me on extended use.

If anyone has any other suggestions from the information I've given, let

me
know.

Thanks again!
Doug

"Doug" wrote in message
. com...
Bought a new snow thrower last year, and have had this problem since day
one.

The engine is a Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 on a Troy Bilt Storm snow thrower.

It
starts just fine, but pops out of the exhaust as it's running. Then at
times, it will run very rough, with the idle going up and down, then
stall. I find that if I play with the choke, I can usually keep it from
stalling.

So, it looks like some kind of gas flow problem or maybe a timing

problem.
I plan on replacing the spark plug, but have no clue if there are any
adjustments I can make on the carb (or how to get the cover off! This is

Troy Bilt Thrower).

If responding to me directly, please take out "REMOVE" from my e-mail
address.

Thanks!
Doug