jeff

"Dugie" wrote in message ...

Hi,

The second problem with our Kenmore Clothes Washer, top loading model 110.4680290, 8 years old, is:

Built by Whirlpool/Inglis for Sears.

RUST. It has been eating the baked-on enamel around the underside of the washer's cover opening for about 4 years,
and I've neglected to bring it to Sears attention, or to deal with it. There is also rust on the metal where the
plastic sleeves cover the metal holding the hinged top to the body, and a lot totally around the hole under the
plastic where bleach is to be poured. Plus various small areas are rusted around the interior of the cabinet's body,
some of them pintsized.

The washer is well out of warranty. It's located in our kitchen, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, so the location
isn't damp, and it's in new condition otherwise, since we baby it. Really, since we bought a lot of Kenmore
appliances all at once in a moment of "we want new stuff, and we want to be adults!" :-) Got rid of our old stuff,
and shine and polish the new stuff.

I'm asking Sears to consider it a manufacturing defect. The store's appliance manager has agreed to pay the $49.95
charge for the tech's visit on Wednesday.

What does your use and care manual suggest the warranty is on the cabinet or rust?

My reasoning is that baked-on enamel applied by manufacturer shouldn't rust under normal conditions and use. Sears
should repair this.

What do others think?

- Dugie, tired of planned obsolescence

jeff