Rob Stokes

A group of Vancouver (BC) woodbutchers got together over a couple of
weekends, hired a fellow with an Alaskan mill and milled approx 1300 -
1500 bd ft of Silver maple. It was a downed tree that formerly lined the
driveway to an original homestead in our area. Woods's currently in the
kiln but we've found some fantastic figuring in it and are looking
forward to using it. It's not as hard as "hard" maple, but it's a nice
wood. Our total price, cut, milled (9/4) and dried will be less than
$0.55 / bd ft. Hard to beat.

Rob

.. wrote:
I have some land that has open space that I plan to plant trees on for
eventual use in my shop. I enjoy working with maple and was wondering if
silver maple is any good. It is the fastest growing of all maple trees but
when I read up on them, their downfall as a tree is that they are brittle
and limbs snap easily. Would this be a problem as well when working with it
in the shop?

Thanks in advance
Craig Orput
Camas WA