Greg O

"Don97623" wrote in message
Hi

I've got a Rockwell Contractors saw which I recently bought. It's got a

1.5HP,
15A (@115V) original motor on it. The saw has seen a fair amount of use.

There doesn't seem to be any significant drag on the system, the motor,

belt &
spindle seem to turn fine.

However, just about 50% of the time I turn it on, the circuit breaker

trips.
When it trips, I can just reset the breaker, then turn on the saw and it

will
always start the second time. If I shut it off, the next time I try to

turn it
on (warm or cold), it will almost always trip the breaker.

I originally had it plugged into a 15A circuit, and figured the starting
current was just a little high.
I had been meaning to add a power circuit to the basement, so I added a

20A
circuit, and still have the same problem.

Does this mean the motor is bad, or are there soft-start options for these
machines, or what?

I could probably wire it up for 230V, but I'd like to have it remain

somewhat
portable.

Thanx.

Don

You should not have any problems running this motor on a proper 20 amp
circuit.
Sounds like a bad start winding switch to me. Most single phase motors have
a centrifical switch that energizes the start windings for a second when you
turn on the motor. The switch contacts get dirty over time and fail to make
good contact.
If your are comfortable doing it you may be able to take the motor apart and
clean the contacts with some fine emery paper.
If it is an open motor you could just try to blow it out well with
compressed air, it is possible that some dust is hanging up the start switch
too.
Also it is possible you have a bad connection some where too.
Greg