Pete Logghe

"Peter Grey" wrote in message .net...
Hi all,

I want to build a vacuum chuck. I'd like to build one that can hold a piece
up to 10" square with the ability to block off some holes and use it for
smaller pieces. I'm trying to figure out what pump is appropriate to try to
find used. In looking at what's available from MSC and others, it appears as
though a pump that pulls at least 26" is about right. How important is the
CFM rating in this application? I'm assuming that a pump's max CFM will
influence how quickly the chuck builds vacuum, and depending on how much
leakage gets past the item I'm machining and its contact with the chuck, how
easily it'll maintain its hold. Any suggestions about minimum specs I
should be considering.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Peter

I built a waffle plate, a plate with a grid pattern of slots.
They are .125" wide and .058' deep. I found some .063" diameter
O-ring material. With a hole in the middle you can put the O-ring
material in a pattern to match the part. You can overlap the O-ring
for one grid space. No need to cut it short either. Finer grid, better
match to the parts.