Lyn J. Mangiameli

The Teknatool Nova was the first four jaw self centering scroll chuck
for woodturners. When Oneway decided to go into the chuck business, they
basically copied the Nova design right down to the screw spacing and
interface grooves of the jaws. The good thing about this is that any jaw
that will fit on the Teknatool Nova will fit on the Oneway chuck and
vice versa.

The difference in jaws and chucks that is pertinent to this discussion
is how each achieve overstop protection so that the jaws slides cannot
be expanded right out of their containment gearing. Teknatool in their
Nova and original Supernova did this by a stop screw placed at the end
of one of the jaw slides. Oneway incorporated it into their jaw sets by
adding a pin to one jaw that was trapped in a groove in the face of the
chuck. Either system works adequately.

To mount a Oneway jaw to the Teknatool you have to remove the stop pin,
as their is not groove for it to go into and no need for it. A pair of
pliers will pull it straight out without difficulty. Save it if you want
to ever use that jaw on a Oneway again, and you can easily just press it
back into place, seating it firmly with just the tap of hammer.

I generally don't recommend putting Teknatool jaws on a Oneway, as their
is not provision for a stop pin. It would be possible to drill a jaw for
one and insert it, but it would take some careful measurement, drilling,
and a pin. Thus I usually state that Oneway jaws will fit on a Teknatool
chuck, but not vice versa.

I have a Talon. I like it. It has a grip level a little greater than the
lever bar Oneway chuck, but it does not have the grip strength of a
Stronghold.

There aren't that many SuperNova 2s out there, it being a very new
chuck, so I wonder how much experience some folks really have with the
chuck. Mine came directly from Teknatool and I've had quite a bit of
experience with two of them. It is an outstanding chuck, better than or
equal to any chuck I've used. Lots of people have lauded the Vicmark
chucks for their simple hex key handle. I agree. In my experience
Teknatool has gone Vicmark one better in using a ball end on the hex
shaft of their new handle. The ball end makes it a lot easier to have
the end of the shaft self guide into the receptical even if you are
slightly misaligned. It also allows the handle to be positions slightly
off center to allow the handle to be angle if you have a big turning and
need clearance to turn the handle. For me these are features and are a
big plus, obviously others may have their own opinions, though I again
wonder how much of those opinions are based on actual use of this new chuck.

Again, the Talon is a great chuck, though limited in jaw travel and
number of jaw sets available. I use one regularly on my minilathe. The
new SuperNova 2 is a great chuck, whith full jaw travel, an enclosed
back, enclosed pinion gear, exceptional handle, and one of, if not the
greatest range of compatible jaw sets available.

You'll likely be quite happy with either.

Lyn

Sanford Imhoff wrote:

I want to confirm that my Oneway jaws could be used on Teknatool products. I
was in our local Woodcraft store last summer and purchased a set of Nova
jaws for the Oneway as I was convinced (in the store) that these were the
same as Oneway. However, when I tried them they wouldn't fit...are you
saying they will go the other way? (Oneway Nova, but not Nova Oneway?)
I looked at a close up picture of the Nova chuck and I don't see the safety
groove for the pin in my #1 Oneway jaw. If it were to fit I might be tempted
by the Super Nova 2, but, I also don't see a pin groove in its face that
would allow my Oneway jaws to be used on it, either.

Second question...is the Talon up to the same grip level as the Oneway
chuck? As I read it, this is a chuck for mini-lathes.