Gerald Miller

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:34:27 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Jeepers
wrote back on Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:32:27 -0600
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I never had high school physics :^( Why I asked ;^)

O.K. At this point I admit I'm no doctor of physics. I also have to
admit it was my idea to install the top fill bung thinking it would be
easier to fill because I wouldn't be filling against a barrel full of
water. So I lose the argument. HOWEVER... I also want to leave the hose
attached to the top fill bung so I don't have to re-attach a water
filled, running, hose back to the cabin.

Actually, while it may not be "easier" to pump water the additional
distance to the top, the "hydrostatic load" is less. May not be a problem
when you are pumping into an empty barrel, but when you start pumping fluid
into a full pipeline, it isn't going to move. Pressure builds as water
doesn't compress, and until the stationary water "gets out of the way"
there is no place for the new water to go.
I learned about this from a biography of Mr LeTournou, who learned it
the hard way by coming back the next day and switching the pump back on, at
full power. I don't remember if he blew out the pump or a piece of pipe,
but it was a very expensive lesson

Thanks!

So just hang the hose through the top bung until the end of it rests
on the bottom of the tank, problem irrelevant.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada