Serendipity

Rick Brandt wrote:

"Hybyd2" wrote in message
ink.net...

For one who has the time but is low on funds ... how does one fix those
strings of Christmas tree / colored lights that have the bulbs in series -
presumably, if one bulb blows they all get knocked out? I have a multimeter
and several non-working strings (so hopefully there are plenty of spare light
bulbs).

It's actually pretty rare to have a "one bulb blows, the whole strand goes out"
anymore. It _is_ still true in most sets though that if "one bulb is not fully
seated the whole strand goes out". That being the case you usually only have to
go through the set looking for the loose bulb(s) to get the strand to light up.
Once the strand lights, the bulbs that are actually burned out are easy to spot.

Except for the very deluxe sets I only give them about 20 minutes worth of
dicking with them. After that, they hit the trash and I buy another set. There
just not worth more effort than that.

We gave up trying to fix them, opting instead for LED Chrismas lights.
They are cheaper to run and no repairs. OTOH, the OP is low on funds so
my preferred method was changing one light bulb at a time. Most mini
light sets come with a couple replacement bulbs. With any luck, he can
troubleshoot enough to get the strand going.