patriarch

Silvan wrote in
:

snip
The funny thing is they are upgrading the whole camp to have running
water and septic systems. The EPA or CDC or some environmental health
study people are making them get rid of the latrines.

The forest service has rules to follow, when the areas get this level of
intensive use. As a veteran of more than one water system/septic system
upgrade in the middle of forest service land, I tend to agree with them.

And the serious outbreak of 'flu-like symptoms' at one of our council's
camps a decade or so ago leads me to believe that not all of the hygiene
efforts were successful. That camp closed in early July, and didn't open
again that year. Pretty much over-use.

BSA camping is not, and hasn't been for a long time, a wilderness
experience. A wilderness experience is best done in very small groups,
rather than with 100 kids.

Patriarch