Leo Van Der Loo

"buck" wrote: (clip) Do you
really think that a one inch diameter round rest would be much more
critical
than the standard rest? My thought on this is that the round rest would
allow for a much smoother glide along it with the chisel. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you add that to a distance you already are away from the wood it does
not help, I have a couple of round bar rests but only use them to get
closer inside a bowl turning and then I'm not to keen on using them.
Just draw a circle on a piece of paper,( that will be your turning ) now
draw a 1" circle right close to the other one, (that's your rest )
draw below center a little, now draw a line that would be your turning
tool, now measure, unless you use a scraper you are going to be at least
an inch away for your optimum, if you would do the same again but use a
1/4" bar instead of the 1" round bar you'll notice the difference.
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo