Joel M. Eichen

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:36:31 GMT, "Bill 2" wrote:

"Hybyd2" wrote in message
link.net...
For one who has the time but is low on funds ... how does one fix those
strings of Christmas tree / colored lights that have the bulbs in series -
presumably, if one bulb blows they all get knocked out? I have a

multimeter
and several non-working strings (so hopefully there are plenty of spare
light bulbs).

Suggestions?

I have an electrical tester that I picked at the dollar store. If you hold
it next to a plugged in extension cord, it will light up when held next to
the hot / live wire, but won't light up when held next to the neutral /
ground (even if there is nothing plugged into the extension cord). If you
could find this tool, you could use it to trace the line, and find where it
breaks, then replace that bulb, and continue till you get a working set.

I think the tester is called DEET or something.

If you just have a multimeter: set it to continuity test or resistance test.
Remove a lightbulb and test the two contacts. If it beeps on continuity, or
registers a resistance (near zero), then you know that bulb is good. Plug
that bulb in and test the next one.

If all the bulbs work, then you might have screwed up sockets or wiring,
which is a little harder to test.

True, of course if your wiring is screwed up your computer is not
working so you can't read this either!

You remove a bulb, test continuity from
both the prongs on the plug to the contacts in the socket, replace the bulb,
and continue to the next socket till you find a problem.