Harry B. Pye

laughable by most standards, but it's a start. My question is..... should
be fine tuning the bevel on a stone when done grinding? I suppose it
couldn't hurt but is it normal to do this or am I just wasting my time?

Lots of people think that honing is a waste of time and effort. Might be
worthwhile on a skew, and woodcarving tools. I use mine right from the
wheel.

Also the one inch "roughing gouge as it was called" is not straight across
the top when looking straight down of it, as I have seen other ones but
sweeps back on the sides more like a spindle gouge.... is this normal?

Maybe it is a spindle gouge. The flute is much deeper on a bowl gouge than a
spindle gouge. Some manufacturers take a fair amount of liberty with the
names.