Stephen Dawson

"BigWallop" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote in message
oups.com...
Testing an RCD (part of a split-load CU) I found that at the rated
current (30mA) it would trip anywhere between 16-17ms to not at all
(even with the meter set to the 2s range). Suspecting the RCD I swapped
in another from a spare box (same make - Clipsal - but almost certainly
different batch as I bought them at different times from different
suppliers). However the other RCD showed much the same behaviour. Both
tripped reliably at 50mA.
Is this typical, or are both faulty? (Is Clipsal crap? :-)

When was the test meter last calibrated? Is the battery still good, or is
it a mains operated test meter? It could be your meter and not the RCD's
you know. The most reliable test gear is connected across the supply and
doesn't rely on a battery.

The mains operated test meters have crimp ends which connect with main
supply leads to the RCD switching. Then the test leads are connected
across
the consumer side of the same switch. It then slowly increases the
current
to a point where it causes the RCD to trip out. They then store the info'
on the display for easy reading after they're disconnected. They do have
battery to make the display work and keep the NVM chip working after
disconnection, but they don't rely solely on a battery for the full test.

They're also very expensive, especially if you have to buy three like we
did.

The question is very loose.

Climbing up on to high horse :-)

If you do not know how to carry out the test that you are doing, then you
will have no idea how to understand to results and whether they are good or
bad.

This is why you should employ a competent electrician to carry out this kind
of work. If you were competent to do this work you would not be asking this
question.

Climbs off high horse.

Stephen Dawson