Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article .com,
writes:

Testing an RCD (part of a split-load CU) I found that at the rated
current (30mA) it would trip anywhere between 16-17ms to not at all
(even with the meter set to the 2s range). Suspecting the RCD I

swapped in another from a spare box (same make - Clipsal - but almost
certainly different batch as I bought them at different times from

different
suppliers). However the other RCD showed much the same behaviour.

It's not typical -- I normally find they trip within
20ms at the rated trip current (not used Clipsal though).

Each & every time?

Is your RCD tester calibration out of spec?

Just recently been calibrated so I'd hope it'd be OK. Will try again

on
other RCDs (like this house cct, after I've logged off :-)

OK, got 20ms each and every time (about a dozen times) on my ancient
Wylex 30mA whole-house[1] RCD

Is this typical, or are both faulty? (Is Clipsal crap? :-)

Seems like: No, Yes, and (Yes) then :-(
[1] yes, I know. The cobbler's children ...