Nobody

Yeah, I didn't have my selection of contractors at all, this was the only
guy I could get. I am totally backing off this guy and will give him some
time, but chances are he will never call me back and if he got a bigger job,
then he probably doesn't care about the money because he is making it up on
the next job.

But actually at the point the project is, I can get someone else to finish
it. I can do some of the adjustments/fixes myself and sand down all the
drywall so its nice and smooth. Then just call in a carpenter to do the
molding/shelving, a painter to retexture/paint and a carpet/linoleum guy to
fix the floor.

"Bill" wrote in message
It sounds like you don't have much choice than to wait this guy out and
hope he finishes. It's not like you can go out and find someone else to
finish the job. So be very nice and patient with this guy. (Offer him
water, cookies, etc. while he is working.) Maybe he got drunk and has a
hangover. Maybe he has other projects in the works. Who knows?

If you start complaining about everything, calling constantly, pressuring
and threatening him with legal action, etc. He may just not come back and
may not care about the money.

If you had a choice of many different contractors to choose from, that
would be different. But it sounds like this is the only person you could
find to do the work? Give him a month, then if still not done, consider
your options....

"Nobody" wrote in message
Is this "par for the course" with contractors, etc?

I am a relatively new home owner (2 years). I recently started on a quest

have a pocket door installed. I got myself a Penny Saver and called a few
"door installers". None wanted to come out to do a single door. I then
called a few general contractors. Same thing. None wanted to come out for
such a small project. Actually, one came out, on time, gave me an

estimate
and I said I would let him know in a few days. 2 days later, I called him
back saying I wanted to go ahead with it and he said fine, he would send

me
an estimate. A week passed with no response, so I gave him one more try

and
he never returned my message.

Finally, people at work suggested that I should call a handy man, as they

do
this type of smaller job. I called about 15. 10 of them didn't install
pocket doors. 3 didn't even know what a pocket door was. 2 said they do

it
and came out to give me an estimate.

The first guy sounded like he knew what he was doing and said about all

the
stuff he would do the "correct way" so I wouldn't have trouble down the
road. And he was an educated english speaking person, so I thought,

great,
no miscommunication. He said he'll give me an estimate in a few days.

Again,
I didn't hear anything from him. So I called him back. He gave me an
estimate over the phone, but said, suddenly he is not available for 2
months.

The 2nd guy came out and gave me the same ballpark estimate as the other
people and he could start when I wanted. Great. I signed him up.

So he started this Monday, came in on time at 8:30, but took off at 2:30.
Tuesday he came at 9:30 and left at 1:30. Wednesday he came at 2:30 and

left
at 4:30.

He said he was coming back today at 9:00 to finally finish up, but hasn't
showed up yet at 2:00pm.

And quite frankly, I dont see how he can finish today. his first coat of
drywall mud was really sloppy. There is still finished carpentry to do,

and
texture and paint everything. I don't see how he plans to fix the drywall
mud, texture and paint and do finished carpentry in two hours, but my

guess
is he probably wont even show up. Not to mention that he cut a carpet too
short and damaged a floor.

I still have 50% of the bill left (about $700). And quite frankly, he

looks
halfway done to me. If not less.

I know I don't have to pay him until he is done, but I also dont want

this
to go on indefinitely.

Now that I look back, I should have seen a few warning signs, but hey,

too
late for that.

He has left some construction material and a few tools and a shop vac.
Probably $200 to $300 worth of stuff.

I mean, I guess he could take the $300 hit (on the tools) and not finish

the
job because it may not be worth it to him, but that means he is loosing
$1000 just for not showing up to finish his job.