Inspector D

Magnusfarce wrote:
It's time to replace my old circular saw and I see that there are saws with
blades on both sides. The saws with blades on one side appear to be for
framing, and the others, I guess, are for general work. The old Porter
Cable I inherited has the blade on the right side, and this is what I'm used
to. Thinking about typical uses, I see advantages and disadvantages for
each. Can someone tell me more about the differences? BTW, I'm right
handed.

- Magnusfarce

The benifit of having the blade on the left side is that you can SEE
it when you are cutting if you are right handed. Most pro saws have the
blade on the left because they use it a lot. The consumer saws are on
the right because it is preceived to be "safer" for the inept homeowner
to use. On the right requires you to crane your neck over to the right,
looking over the saw, to see where the blade is cutting. Not the best
for accurate cuts.