Phil Addison

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 09:49:09 -0000, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

Phil,

Under-wall-unit lights...

set into the base??? The bases of my wall units are only 15 or 18mm
thick, so can't se how that works - unless you cut right through and put
the light inside the cupboard.

That's pretty much what I was visualising,

Won't that mean you can't put much, or anything, in the bottom half of
the cupboard? I would be concerned about weakening the bottom shelf,
given the heavy pile of crockery we have stacked in ours. Or are you
thinking of boxing it in making a false bottom shelf? That will still
waste valuable storage space.

though I wondered if any fittings
existed which were indeed 15-18mm thick in total. From your response, I
imagine not.

In the absence of a custom-made pelmet I suppose I could produce my own,
possibly using a cut-down plinth. But it's a very exposed component and I
doubt if I could cut the material as accurately and neatly as I would like.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but MFI stocked only a very small
number of pelmet styles to go with their multitude of cabinet styles,
and they sold all their components separately too, though that's not
obvious from the catalogue. You might find one of those suitable, and I
daresay the other sheds policies are similar.

Thanks for the link but that sort of fitting - however neat in itself -
would look rather untidy without a pelmet to hide it, I think.

Agreed.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me