Han

TomL wrote in news:bq2gq05umuc1hn0l5smub03007erhs4gua@
4ax.com:

On 24 Nov 2004 13:32:30 GMT, OSPAM (Brandystew)
wrote:

Anyone have experience with Verizon DSL in their home?

Thanks

I've had Verizon DSL in NE NJ since day one. The first year was not
good. Since then they've become very reliable. In my area, DSL is much
less costly than cable. If you frequent the Newsgroups you'll find
Verizon wins out over cable in retention and completion. The downside?
Technical support.
Do get yourself a gateway router to use as a firewall and eliminate
the need to install that dreadful PPOE and Verizon software.

TomL

That's an important point: NEVER install the stuff on the Verizon CD.
DO get a router (VZ may give you the router/modem combo thingy (Westell
327 I believe).
DO use the VZ supplied cable for the connection between the telephone wall
jack and the modem (it's special twisted wire, rather than the flat phone
cord).
Do try to get the straigthest most direct inside wiring (preferably cat5)
from the NID to the modem.
DO put filters on all other phone equipment.

See HiEv's pages here for more help:
http://www.alt-hacker.org/~HiEv/vzindex.html

--
Best regards