Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Gunner
wrote:

I fired up the stick welding side of that Lincoln I brought home,
today. Ive not got an argon bottle or a pump running yets, so havent
been able to fire up the Tig.

First thing I noticed about the stick welding arc on this machine..is
it feels really really harsh. The Dialarc 250 has a much smoother arc
in any mode, AC or DC and its easier to establish an arc and keep it
going smoothly.

This Lincoln seems like its running at much higher heat, from the
sound and ;ook of the arc puddle, and the force of the arc, but welds
no better or worse a bead than the Dialarc. The arc diameter seems to
be far smaller as well, which is wierd. I was burning some 1/8" rod
and it burned a bead like 3/32" would on a straight pass. I found this
most odd..... lots of sound and fury, but a pretty small bead.

Is this something unique to this machine, a combination of reactor etc
etc that makes the arc really harsh?

Its hard for me to explain what I mean by "harsh"..more violent and
stiff an arc..where other machines Ive used give a nice frying bacon
noise, a nice smooth arc with minumum amounts of flying crap, less
under cutting and so forth.

There should be a hot-start adjustment for stick welding.
That should adjust the open-circuit voltage.

The machine is entirely usable, but this one will take more getting
used to, than about any other stick welder that Ive used over the
years.

Does anyone have a link to a manual to this machine? I cannot for the
life of me figure out which one it is on the Lincoln website

The data plate says Tig 250/250 with a code of 8809

Serial Number AC-U1921105578

Unfortunately Lincoln kept using the same name for many different
machines.
Just download them all and find which one matches.

I repainted it back to the original Candy Apple Red from the latex off
white someone had painted it and have built a table that bolts to cart
and covers the top of the machine all the way back to the bottle
holder and has lead holders on one side and tig holder on the other,
with filler rod tubes on it as well. Ill post some pictures later in
the weekend when I have all the bells and whistles finished up. Im
trying to design pull handle that either folds away, or is quickly
removable, just to get it out of the way.

The original color was battleship gray, not red.

A guy gave me some spun aluminum CO2 bottles that at one time or
another belonged to a soft drink supplier (no longer listed in the
phone book) and have manufacturing date codes of 1987 and 1989 stamped
into them, but no later testing dates. Are these doorstops?

Probably.
You could use them as air storage tanks for a punkin chukker.

A band around them indicate that they were Deposit bottles. Whats the
ramifications of this?

They are rental tanks.
Not ownership.

Next question..the Spark Switch. Is this only for use with TIG? It
pops my 60 amp breaker if its turned on and I strike an arc with the
stick.

"spark" is old Lincolnese for High Freq.

I had 90' of lead, so cut it 35' for ground clamp and the rest is
connected to a "Short Sub" stinger that Ive had around. Is this too
much lead for this machine?

Not it should have plenty of juice.

Thanks

Gunner

Come shed a tear for Michael Moore-
Though he smirked and lied like a two-bit whore
George Bush has just won another four.
Poor, sad little Michael Moore

Diogenes