Cliff

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:00:14 GMT, BottleBob
wrote:

Cliff wrote:

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:08:02 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Regulated as used in the 2nd amendment has NOTHING to do with
regulations or goverment control...

By that silly "reasoning" they could hardly have used the term in
your much beloved second amendment, now could they?

[
Main Entry: reg·u·late
Pronunciation: 're-gy&-"lAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin regulatus, past participle
of regulare, from Latin regula rule
Date: 15th century
]

Cliff:

Here is the complete definition from the Merriam-Webster online
dictionary:
================================================= ======
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ry&va=regulate

Main Entry: reg·u·late
Pronunciation: 're-gy&-"lAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -lat·ed; -lat·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin regulatus, past participle of
regulare, from Latin regula rule

1 a : to govern or direct according to rule b (1) : to bring under the
control of law or constituted authority (2) : to make regulations for or
concerning regulate the industries of a country
2 : to bring order, method, or uniformity to regulate one's habits
3 : to fix or adjust the time, amount, degree, or rate of regulate the
pressure of a tire
================================================= =======

So it seems that "regulate" has/had other meanings than simply the
latin one, to rule.
Why didn't you post the whole definition?

BB,
The issue was Gunner's claims about the dates of words VBG.

The observant will note that I posted about the date. That was all
that was needed (have I recently noted my dislike of long posts?)

Guido & Ed showed him to be full of BS on the meanings & context
I think. He copied bad blogs again G. (Does that cause some sort
of disease, like reverse indigestion?)
--
Cliff