Wade

Was it brand new, as is in you brought it home, got it out of the box, and
put it together or was it lying around the store or maybe outside in front
of the store? If it was laying around the store there is a good chance that
it had been at least cranked up before you bought it...may have some
crystalization in the carb which has freezed up the float. I am not sure
your carb has a float or not, but I am willing to bet it does. See if you
can't get into the carb and see if it is clean or not. I had the same kind
of problem on one of my mowers last year and more recently on my power
washer. Both had Tecumseh carbs and they needed to be cleaned out. The
power washer was only a year old and had sat awhile and the float was stuck.

Wade

"Doug" wrote in message
. com...
Bought a new snow thrower last year, and have had this problem since day
one.

The engine is a Tecumseh HMSK 80-110 on a Troy Bilt Storm snow thrower. It
starts just fine, but pops out of the exhaust as it's running. Then at
times, it will run very rough, with the idle going up and down, then
stall. I find that if I play with the choke, I can usually keep it from
stalling.

So, it looks like some kind of gas flow problem or maybe a timing problem.
I plan on replacing the spark plug, but have no clue if there are any
adjustments I can make on the carb (or how to get the cover off! This is a
Troy Bilt Thrower).

If responding to me directly, please take out "REMOVE" from my e-mail
address.

Thanks!
Doug