T i m

Default SDS drill with standard chuck

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 22:18:23 -0000, "David Hearn"
wrote:

I was wondering whether I could use a standard masonry bit in it but without
using the hammer action.

[T] Possibly, yes ..

I would imagine though that without the hammer, it
wouldn't break the brick so much.

[T] Proreably not. (depending on hardness of the material)

If a basic hammer drill struggles then
surely not using any hammer would be worse?

[T] Indeed ..

Depending on the substrate that
I've been drilling, I have been able to use masonry bits without hammer
sometimes. I often start the hole without hammer to get a more accurate
start and then find that I can carry on with it.

[T] Not a bad plan. I generally use my DeWalt (non hammer) battery
drill for everything (to start with at least) including drilling holes
for wall plugs. Sometimes all goes well to start with then you hit a
hard bit or stone and that's when the hammer would come in. You can
get a hand hole 'punch' (?) for making plug holes and I use one of
those to break the stone before finishing with the drill.

I used my Challenge one yesterday (+AKM-29, Argos) for the first time and
it made easy work of a 20mm hole diag through a 30cm of hard brick
wall. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m