Wild Bill

The bearings should be available thru most bearing suppliers. Buffing
probably wouldn't require the utmost in precision fit at that speed.
I wouldn't hesitate to use it as is to see if any problems arise..
overheating bearings or chatter.

If you really lean into the buffing wheels, you might decide that a larger
shaft size in a more heavy duty unit would be more appropriate

WB

"Michael" wrote in message
Hi all. I picked up an old Millers Falls arbor at a flea market. It has a
1/2" shaft with bronze bearings. The bearings are scored, and the shaft

has
a bit of wear. After cleaning, and using some lithium grease (it has oil
caps) on the thing, I can barely feel play while wiggling each end. I plan
on using 8" buffing wheels at 1750 RPM if I can........

Does this old unit lend itself to changing out the bushings? Any idea

where
to get them? I would also change them out for some sealed bearings if they
make them this small, and having another shaft turned.......before I get

too
much $ involved ($5, so far),
any opinions if this is worth doing? Can I use it as is? TIA

Michael