RBM

Bill, I don't know where you live, but many utility companies won't give you
a 3 phase service at a single family house and because 3 phase is generally
for commercial and industrial uses, they often charge at a higher rate
"bill a" wrote in message
. com...
I was wondering where to get objective information on energy cost
comparison between
the same device (air conditioner) in 3 phase vs single phase. I will be
getting a new condenser
next season (maybe 3.5 to 5 ton), and 3 phase is available, but I would
need to justify putting in a panel for it.
I already have adequate panel space in single phase.
Natural gas has gone up quite a bit here, and I might consider an all
electric heat pump, as well.
I'd would like to have 3ph anyway for machinery, etc, but it would help
the decision if the a/c would actually run cheaper. Someone was telling
me that electric meters are more weighted towards amperage, than just
wattage, but I have my doubts on that.
Thanks
Bill