SQLit

"bill a" wrote in message
. com...
I was wondering where to get objective information on energy cost

comparison
between
the same device (air conditioner) in 3 phase vs single phase. I will be
getting a new condenser
next season (maybe 3.5 to 5 ton), and 3 phase is available, but I would

need
to justify putting in a panel for it.
I already have adequate panel space in single phase.
Natural gas has gone up quite a bit here, and I might consider an all
electric heat pump, as well.
I'd would like to have 3ph anyway for machinery, etc, but it would help

the
decision if the a/c would actually run cheaper. Someone was telling me

that
electric meters are more weighted towards amperage, than just wattage, but

have my doubts on that.
Thanks
Bill

I know where I live 3 phase for a residence is an act of god or produce load
calculations for something like 100 kw demand. If I were you I would look
into what it will cost for an phase service then look at the cost of an
single phase air conditioner. I seriously doubt that there is any payback.
You must contact your utility to see what the rate differences are. 3 phase
will no doubt have an demand charge maybe more. Unless you have an machine
shop that runs 18 hours a day your probably tilting at windmills.

An 3 phase motor does draw less amps but the kwh is about the same. An horse
power is still an horse power whether it be 3 phase or single phase. Wire
sizes are smaller with 3 phase and all of the protective devices are smaller
in size and usually more in initial cost.