Mark Jerde

Charlie Self wrote:

I used to buy firewood from a sawmill in upstate NY where the owner
cut wood to length on a 30" blade, though at that point in my life, I
didn't know enough to check what tip grind and other features that
saw had. You might call that a buzz saw. I'd call it a portable
crosscut saw, with one helluva long support table to the left.

A neighbor had one back in the 1970's. It was powered by a wide leather
belt from his Ford tractor. (For the terminally curious he had a
PTO-to-pulley attachment, the only one I've ever seen.) It cut logs into
fireplace length extremely efficiently but that huge, exposed spinning blade
scared the snot out of me. I opted for jobs that kept me at least 10' away
from the blade & belt.

-- Mark