Charlie Self

George Cawthon writes:

Sawmills don't have a lot of use for crosscut blades. There are several
companies specializing in large blades for sawmills, but they're rip

blades,
not crosscut, AFAIK.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than

Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken

And they use rip blades to cut the ends of the board off or to cut
shorter boards?

Buzz saws also use crosscut blades, 30 inch maybe larger.

No, but in general, the sawmills around here don't cut the boards to length.
They cut the LOGS to rough length with a chainsaw.

What is a buzz saw used for? You say it crosscuts. I've been hearing about
"buzz" saws my whole life and have yet to see any saw identified as such...or
for that matter find any kind of ID of such a saw in a wood or woodworking
source. Woodweb has one reference to a guy cutting 16" slabs with a "buzz" saw.

I used to buy firewood from a sawmill in upstate NY where the owner cut wood to
length on a 30" blade, though at that point in my life, I didn't know enough to
check what tip grind and other features that saw had. You might call that a
buzz saw. I'd call it a portable crosscut saw, with one helluva long support
table to the left.