David Hearn

Default SDS drill with standard chuck

MrCheerful wrote:
"David Hearn" wrote in message
The manual says not to use the standard 13mm chuck with the SDS
drill when in hammer mode. What is the actual problem with doing
this? A standard chuck can cope with basic hammer drills - is it
the heavier force from the SDS drill that could be a problem?

Its just that I need to make a large hole through a wall for
pipework and have a 40cm x 20mm standard masonry drill bit but only
a short 6" x 22mm SDS drill bit. Just wondering whether I can make
use of the longer non-SDS drill bit in hammer mode in the standard
chuck. What's the worst that can happen?

The way the chuck locks into the sds hole does not allow any fore and
aft movement, therefore the little hammer inside will smashing
against an immovable object and will get damaged.

Drill the hole with a small bit all the way through then use a larger
bit from each side , with hammer off if you use the grippy chuck.

I was wondering whether I could use a standard masonry bit in it but without
using the hammer action. I would imagine though that without the hammer, it
wouldn't break the brick so much. If a basic hammer drill struggles then
surely not using any hammer would be worse? Depending on the substrate that
I've been drilling, I have been able to use masonry bits without hammer
sometimes. I often start the hole without hammer to get a more accurate
start and then find that I can carry on with it.

Thanks

David