Owain

"John" wrote
| Jumping in here Dave, I'm considering running a few field (Showjumping
| etc) events next year and have a requirement for a portable (12 volt)
| PA system with three or so weatherproof speakers, and a microphone on
| about 5 metres of lead.
| Have you any suggestions for a budget model?

12W
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2894.html

25W
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr3799.html

50W
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr3888.html

For more power you would probably need to use a larger mains amp and an
inverter. If you can get a truck with 24V electrics and a 24V inv it will
halve the DC current drain.

10" Low Z horn
http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/ishop/923/shopscr2927.html

skytronic.com, CPC or Rapid Electronics may be cheaper. Skytronic are good
for downloadable manuals and own adastra.

Useful things come on ebay. I saw a couple of nice Toa horns a few weeks
ago. There's a Toa amp, check with seller for 12V power, item no 3763631375.
There's a pair of "trumpet style" PA horns that look like they fell off a
railway station at 3764678033

You do not need a lot of watts for public address work; music systems have
high powers because bass drivers are inefficient. The Beatles played the
Albert Hall with 20W. A lot depends on whether you just need to cover
defined areas (spectators, competitor marshalling pens) or the entire arena.

Owain