Capitol

simon beer wrote:

I did this a few years ago for the MIL. I used a glazed floor tile and edged
the fronts with oak. Stuck the oak on with evostick contact adhesive and
screwed at regular intervals. I used a plug cutter to cover over the screws.
Grouting should be carried out using epoxy grout, think you can buy this in
the big stores nowadays but they didn't stock it when I did it. Buy it in no
bigger than 1KG tubs. If you have never used this type of grout before, as I
hadn't, be very careful and very aware of what is happening to it. It lulls
you into a false sense, you think all is going well and then it starts to
turn and before you can put your cup of coffee down it rapidly starts to go
off. I suggest working as you go not to big an area at a time and finishing
your grout lines and wiping of the excess from tile top regularly. You need
everything to hand so your ready to start as soon as you have mixed up the
grout, it comes as a 2 part pack. I had also varnished the wood edge prior
to grouting but you may get away with just masking it off. Not a big fan of
the tiled worktops myself however that's what she wanted and she was very
pleased with it. But then my preferred choice of top is wood and that not
everyone's cup of tea either!

I'd agree with most of this. Floor tiles stand up to being used as
kitchen surfaces very well IME. For this grouting application I always
use grouting powder mixed with 1/3 enamel paint and 2/3 emulsion paint.
You need to leave this overnight to harden off, then cut back with a
golden fleece, the next day. I prefer 1" wbp plywood for the base, but I
find any bog standard tile cement thats slightly flexible works ok, as
the grout seals the surface extremely well. The lifespan of this system
is in excess of 25years. IME cement based adhesives are a bit rigid for
worktops which may get soaking wet occasionally as a result of water
leaks, leading to loose tiles. You need surface protection for the edge
of the knives, not the tiles IME. Cracked tiles can be a cosmetic
problem if something really heavy (cast iron) is dropped on them, so
keep a few as spares if you are going to be there for more than 5 years.

Regards
Capitol