gw

"John DeBoo" wrote in message
What are the most important features for a miter saw? I'm not looking for
a flame war on one brand vs another but rather a few features that are
pretty much a 'must'. BTW, my use won't be professional or day in and day
out - lighter duty hobby type stuff, room trim, bookcases etc, clean
finish types of cuts mostly.

- So far an adjustable laser seems to be a concensus.
- 10" vs 12" is really a matter of do I have the money for the 12".

They all seem to have dust collection, motor brakes & 15amp motors. Dual
laser? Sliding unit? Fence extensions? Anything else?

Thanx,
Grandpa John

How much of a table surface is there to support the work?
Can the blade/motor assy. be easily deflected with sideways force?
How do the various adjustments for angle and bevel work? Do they lock solid
at the detents? Are the stops easily adjustable?
Any of these things will become bothersome after the first couple of cuts,
or if you can never get the saw set where you want it and keep it there. I
spent a long time playing with the various models on display before making a
decision. Even the type of handle came into play. I prefer the yoke-type
(DeWalt style) over the gun-trigger type.
For trim work, a 10" non-slider will likely be more accurate over time than
a 12" slider. The 12" blades tend to have more run-out, and the sliding
mechansims will always allow some side play. You need to decide the maximum
width of cut you want @90 or 45 degrees, and go from there.