Larry Jaques

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:46:10 -0800, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
calmly ranted:

"Randy Replogle" wrote in message

"Harold & Susan Vordos" wrote in message

Nope! That one is new to us, but not the type of jazz we prefer. I'm a
dedicated MJQ, Brubeck, Monk kind of guy. Don't much like screaming
trumpets, more into the lay-back cool west coast type sound of the 50's.
Thanks for thinking of us, though!

Regards,

Harold

Being a trumpet player, I do. But I like other stuff too. Do you like

early
Miles Davis or Chet Baker?

Miles Davis was likely one of the most interesting of all the jazz
musicians, perhaps all but Monk, in my opinion. His Blackhawk recording in
'56 is one of my favorites, and his Kind of Blue album has to be one of the
best done in jazz history. I actually like all his work, including his
fusion, but he's not known for beating the trumpet to death like Doc
Severinsen or Maynard Ferguson. Chet Baker is great until he sings. He's
no Satchmo in that regard. I thought his work with Mulligan was really
cool. I like Chuck Mangione, although he plays the flugle horn. His Legend
of The One Eyed Sailor is a fine piece of work

I like Davis alright, but I prefer the more recent jazz/fusion style
primarily. I fell in love with John Klemmer's "Touch" album, and have
always liked Grover Washington's sax. Some of my favorite musicians
are Shadowdance, Acoustic Alchemy, the Rippingtons, Jean Luc Ponty,
and Doug Cameron. Recognize any of them? I fell mostly out of rock
and into jazz about the 70s.

Nice site! How I envy you your music, though. I have a fairly nice shop,
although all manual machines, no CNC. As I've grown older, I've had to
ponder what I'd forego should I become limited in my abilities, which is
surely possible. I've often stated that when the time comes to make a
decision, my machines would have to go before the stereo, assuming it got
down to that. Our stereo system has provided so much pleasure that I
can't imagine life without it. Amongst my most cherished possessions is
the JBL Paragon speaker system.

Nice. The Ortofon brings back fond memories of back when I was able to
hear without the constant tinnitus and tracked things like that. Some
day I'll have my old pair of Bose 501s reconed.

I messed around with music from the side of the musician long enough to
understand that I'd likely never be one. Tried the sax, and bag pipes, and
even the baritone when I was in junior high. What I discovered is I'm a
lot better at playing the stereo. Anyone interested in a beautiful sterling
and ivory set of Sinclair pipes, very low miles? Built in the mid 80's.g

Careful, Harold. Threats like that could get the DHS breathing down
your neck in a hurry! Bagpipes are definitely considered WMDs.
(Weapons of Musical Destruction)

--
SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly!