Lurch

Default SDS drill with standard chuck

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:21:09 GMT, "MrCheerful"
wrote:

"David Hearn" wrote in message
The manual says not to use the standard 13mm chuck with the SDS drill when
in hammer mode. What is the actual problem with doing this? A standard
chuck can cope with basic hammer drills - is it the heavier force from the
SDS drill that could be a problem?

Its just that I need to make a large hole through a wall for pipework and
have a 40cm x 20mm standard masonry drill bit but only a short 6" x 22mm

SDS
drill bit. Just wondering whether I can make use of the longer non-SDS
drill bit in hammer mode in the standard chuck. What's the worst that can
happen?

Thanks

David

The way the chuck locks into the sds hole does not allow any fore and aft
movement, therefore the little hammer inside will smashing against an
immovable object and will get damaged.

I think you're mistaken there.

Drill the hole with a small bit all the way through then use a larger bit
from each side , with hammer off if you use the grippy chuck.

That sounds more thought out. I'd agree with that bit.

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.