Andy Hall

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 17:25:07 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

Then in areas above them (two boards width), I ripped short sections
of tongue and have laid and fitted the boards with screws, finally
using a plug cutter and oak plugs. Not noticable at all unless I
look hard. The boards are random length so it's easy to get away
with this.

I've always wondered - how do you remove plugs so that you can undo the
screws? Drill them out? Or is there a non-destructive method?

I've tended to use glue sparingly and then to remove drill them out
carefully using increasing size drills, with the last one a mm or so
less than the plug diameter. THen the remainder chips away fairly
easily.

Obviously you don't want to do this every week, but with care you can
fit a replacement plug of the same size back in. Any minor damage
around the hole can be fixed with a little sawdust and PVA or some
Liberon wax of the right colour.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl