Don Foreman

Not quite, if you use the Fraen collimators. 2.5" dia is 7.8"
circumference, the collimators are each about 1" dia.

TerraLUX has reflectors that are .75" dia, used in their minimag
retrofits with Luxeon sideshooters. If you could buy just the
reflectors from them, you could get 10 of those in a 2.5" dia ring if
you use Luxeon emitters (rather than Stars) epoxied directly to the
ring. You wouldn't need their electronics.

Nothing saying you must run them at full power. I think 3 or 4 watts
will be puh-lenty of light, regardless of how many Luxeons are used
for diversity.

On 25 Nov 2004 07:27:05 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Don Foreman says...

Even the fiberoptic ring lights will give specular reflections
now and again. Get it just right (wrong) and it's really
pretty painful when looking at things like a large polished
wafer. You've got me thinking - I wonder if I could fit (and
heatsink) ten of them in a ring, about 2.5 inch dia?

Thanks for the ideas - Jim