Phisherman

On 25 Nov 2004 13:31:38 GMT, (ToolMiser) wrote:

There is a reason for so many bad tools. Supply and demand. People want to
pay a very low price, so the supplier meets that price by cutting quality.
There are still a lot of good quality tools around, but I don't think the
demand is there as much. Also we are a throw away society, so people would
rather buy something cheep, use it up then buy another. We used to buy good
quality, and "if" it broke, we would repair it.

I agree. At the time you usually do not believe the tool is bad, but
will do specific job well. For some tools I buy the best I can find
and these tools are the ones I heavily rely on. Last month I spent
$185 on Starrett measuring tools--that's a lot of money compared to
buying the equivalent Stanley tools at about $24. Maybe I'll be more
likely to take care of expensive tools than throw-away tools. But if
you think about it, have there been times in the middle of a project
and an important tool broke? Recalling those times makes me buy the
best I can find, and if I can't afford it I'll wait or not buy it at
all.