James E Gaydos

My worst case of flying timbers:
Mounted a 6 x 6 x 50" piece and forgot to turn my speed down.
The piece I was turning before this was at 2200 RPM.
When I hit the start button the blank started to spin and it tore
loose at the head stock, I knew that I had screwed up
as soon as I turned
the lathe on, but it was to late. It took out an 8 foot fluoresent
light that was about 9 feet above my head, the blank then hit my work
bench that was about
4 feet away and smashed a 3/4 X 2" piece of Maple that was used as an
edge band
on my bench. It then landed on the concrete floor and bounced and
danced
for a while. I was un-injured in the mishap.
I never stand in front of the lathe when starting it up.
I now always always always check my speed before starting the lathe.
You should have seen the look on a co-workers face, he was walking
by my area when this happened, his eyes looked like two plates.LOL
Jim