Grunff

Default SDS drill with standard chuck

David Hearn wrote:
The manual says not to use the standard 13mm chuck with the SDS drill when
in hammer mode. What is the actual problem with doing this?

Because it will mush the chuck.

A standard
chuck can cope with basic hammer drills - is it the heavier force from the
SDS drill that could be a problem?

Much heavier impact.

Its just that I need to make a large hole through a wall for pipework and
have a 40cm x 20mm standard masonry drill bit but only a short 6" x 22mm SDS
drill bit. Just wondering whether I can make use of the longer non-SDS
drill bit in hammer mode in the standard chuck. What's the worst that can
happen?

The chuck will last for exactly 3 holes, and the bit somewhat less.

--
Grunff